COMPASSIONATE CARE SINCE 1980

360-794-6772

Jack Russel eating carrot


  • Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure if eaten in sufficient quantities.
  • Macadamia nuts can cause vomiting, weakness and tremors in dogs. The sympytoms pass within 48 hours.
  • Alcoholic drinks cause vomiting, diarrhea and lack of coordination, just like in people.  Because pets are smaller than humans, they can have difficulty breathing, become comatose or even die from alcohol.
  • Chocolate contains a substance called methylxanthine. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it becomes. Signs include vomiting and diarrhea, excitement, muscle tremors, seizures and even death.  A 2.5 oz. milk chocolate bar would cause a 30 lb. dog to vomit and have diarrhea.  An 85% cocoa dark chocolate bar would be rapidly fatal, if not treated by a veterinarian.
  • Marijuana is toxic to cats and dogs.  Pets can ingest marijuana or foods laced with marijuana.  A very small amount will make a cat or dog sick.  For more information see Marijuana Toxicity.
  • If your dog or cat eats anything toxic, please bring them as soon as possible to Cascade Animal Clinic.

 
The next time your cat or dog begs at the table, make sure those pleading eyes get a safe snack, instead of a dangerous one.

Dr Shawn Buchholz at Cascade Animal Clinic admits to slipping a treat off her plate to her dog or cat while she is eating. “I can’t help it! Their eyes control me! “


Unfortunately, there are many foods that are safe for humans but can be dangerous, even fatal, to pets.

  • Milk may seem innocuous, but many pets lose the enzyme they need to digest milk sugar, and as a result can suffer from a bad case of diarrhea.
  • Yeast dough for bread or rolls rises in a warm environment. If your dog eats the raw dough, it will rise in his stomach and expand, requiring surgery to remove it.
  • Eaten in large quantities, vegetables in the onion family (chives, garlic and onions) can damage the red cells in the blood leading to anemia.
  • Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that is used in chewing gum, toothpaste, sugar free candy and baked goods.  It causes lowering of blood sugar, and liver damage leading to vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.  If severe, seizures and death can be seen as well.  Even one or two strips of gum can be toxic.
Bernese Mountain Dog puppies on a couch
Grey cat with green eyes

Carrots are great snacks for dogs!

Treats: Safe or Dangerous