• Gopher Baits: are extremely toxic, causing lung, liver and kidney damage and almost always are fatal.
  • Tulip & Daffodil Bulbs: can cause vomiting, convulsions, decreased blood pressure and death if a few are ingested.
  • Azalea/Rhododendrons: can cause vomiting, diarrhea, depression and convulsions.
  •  Yew Bushes: cause trembling, incoordination, difficulty breathing and heart abnormalities.
  •  Easter Lily (Amaryllis): causes vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and tremors. 
  •  Lilum (various lilies): can cause kidney failure in cats, even if they just lick the water from cut flowers. 
  • Herbicides & Fertilizers: most of these will cause skin irritation, or vomiting and diarrhea; check your product's label.

If you suspect your pet may have ingested or come into contact with a poison, call Cascade Animal Clinic immediately. 

So take some time this spring to look around your yard and garage, and avoid these common toxins to your pets for a healthy, happy season. 

A good resource for pet poisoning information is the ASPCA Animal National Poison Control Center .

Yellow puppy with pink flower in his mouth

Spring is finally coming to the Northwest. The birds are singing, the flowers are blooming, and it’s time to get out in the yard and start all those spring gardening projects. My dogs always think it’s their job to “supervise” my work, stealing my gardening gloves, and chewing up my plant stakes when I’m not looking. They also like to sneak into my open garage and go rooting around for other toys. 

Unfortunately, there are many hazards to dogs and cats lurking in your garage, and around your gardening supplies. Some of those supplies may even be deadly. So take some time to look around your garage, shed, and yard and avoid exposing your pets to these common springtime hazards:

  • Antifreeze: swapping out the radiator coolant can lead to kidney failure in your pets. Even just stepping in a puddle, and licking a paw can be enough to kill a pet. 
  • Rodenticides: such as warfarin and brodifacoum stop the blood’s ability to clot. Most rat baits can be very attractive to dogs. 
  • Slug Bait (Metaldehye): sold under many names, but the most common one is Corry’s. This toxin causes muscle tremors and seizures that can become so severe the pet can die from respiratory failure. Because this substance is sweet, dogs will eat as much of it that they can find. Safer slug agents are made with Iron Phosphate, and are sold under the names of Worry-Free, or Sluggo. 
brown and white kitten in grass

Springtime Hazards